8th January 2018
First of all, we wish our readers a very Happy and Prosperous New Year.
There are a number of milestones that will need to be met during 2018.
- GDPR (General data Protection Regulation) This important legislation comes into force on 25 May 2018. It requires companies to follow a number of steps in protecting data held and also requires them to have positive permission to hold and process data. All employers hold data on their employees so it is vital that permission is sought to continue to hold and /or process this data. Failure to meet the requirements of the GDPR are very high. Up to 20 million Euros or up to 4% of Global turnover. We suggest that action is taken now to be ready for the GDPR.
- ISO 9001:2015. Quality Management Standard The transition period for migrating to this Standard is 15 September 2018
- ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management Standard The transition period for migrating to this Standard is 15 September 2018
- AS9100, AS9110 and AS9120 Aircraft, Space and Defence Standards These Standards must be migrated to the 2016 version by 15 September 2018. Failure to do this will result in withdrawal of certification.
- ISO 135485 :2016 Medical Devices Standard. The previous versions followed ISO 9001 closely but the 2016 version has moved away from this. Now if companies want to have 9001 and 13485 they must have separate certifications, the old version meant that a company being awarded 13485 automatically received 9001 as well. This is not the case now. It is becoming clear that a number of companies will drop 9001.
- ISO 45001:2018 Occupational Health and Safety Standard. This Standard reached the Final Draft stage in November (at last) and if all goes to plan, the Standard will be issued formally in Feb/March 2018. This a will be a new Standard so there will not be a transition period, however companies moving to 45001 will have three years to adopt the new Standard when OHSAS 18001 ceases to be available.
- And finally, the Auditing Standard ISO 19011 is under review and should be issued this year. It brings this Standard in line with Annex SL.
All in all, it looks as though 2018 is going to be another busy year. Bring it on!!
The official blog for independent Management Training
Consultancy, Quality Matters Limited.